I spoke with Emma Forrest recently for LAmag.com about her new memoir, Your Voice in My Head (Other Press). Forrest is a British novelist and screenwriter who currently lives in L.A., and her book is a searing and exquisitely-written chronicle of her history of mental illness. Her memoir eulogizes the psychiatrist, “Dr. R,” who helped heal her and then died — devastating not only his family but also his many patients. (When I talked to Forrest she told me she thinks of her former doctor as the “Springsteen of psychiatrists.”) Forrest’s book also reveals all — except for the name — of her relationship with the movie star who broke her heart. Read my Author Spotlight with Emma Forrest on LAmag.com.
- Check It: Our Favorite Kids’ Books on Pinterest!
- Dirty Words in Deadwood
- 2012 Festival of Books: The Ties That Bind
- 2012 Festival of Books: Opening Notes & Lobstarolls
- Mira Bartók: The Memory Palace & Jenny Lawson: Let’s Pretend This Never Happened
- Cheryl Strayed: Wild
- Dan Chaon: Stay Awake
- Shalom Auslander: Hope: A Tragedy
- Launch Day!
- Coming Soon: New Book Blog
- Ned Zeman: The Rules of the Tunnel
- Dana Spiotta: Stone Arabia
- Samuel Park: This Burns My Heart
- Reading List: July 2011
- Sugar Ray Leonard: The Big Fight
- Mark Seal: The Man in the Rockefeller Suit
- Reading List: June 2011
- Lisa See: Dreams of Joy
- Reading List: May 2011
- Emma Forrest: Your Voice in My Head
TagsAuthor Spotlights Biography Book News Books children's books Crime Fiction Essays Events Festival of Books Fiction Gothic Novels History Hollywood LAmag.com Los Angeles Los Angeles magazine Magical Realism Memoir My LA to Z Nineteenth Century Literature Noir Nonfiction Novels Other Writings Politics Reading Lists reviews Science Fiction Short Stories Sports Spot Ons wendywitherspoon.com news Western American Literature